Skip to main content

Everyone needs calcium for a healthy body, bones, and teeth. The human body absorbs most of its calcium requirements through a good diet and natural sunlight. As we age, we lose bone density and strength, leading to osteoporosis (brittle bone disease). Below are benefits of calcium and related facts on how much calcium you need and the best ways to get it.

What is calcium?

Calcium is a mineral that the body needs for good health. It is found naturally in some foods and is added to others to enhance its intake. It also is available as a nutritional supplement like in Totally Calcium.

Why does the body need calcium?

Calcium is a healthy bone mineral. About 99% of the calcium in the body is stored in the bones and teeth; it’s the mineral that makes them hard and strong. The remaining 1% is needed for many activities that help keep the body functioning normally. Calcium helps blood vessels contract (narrow) and relax (expand), makes muscles contract, enhances sending messages through the nervous system, and aids glands secrete hormones. Several other benefits of calcium supplements can be found at product website.

Bones are constantly being remodeled daily as calcium moves in and out of them. The body builds new bone faster in children and adolescents than in older people, so total bone mass increases. This continues until about age 30, when the new bone formation and old bone breakdown start occurring at about the same rate. In older adults, especially post-menopausal women, bone is broken down faster than built; if calcium intake is too low, this can contribute to osteoporosis.

What are the best ways to get enough calcium?

The best way to get enough calcium every day is to eat various healthy foods from different food groups. Getting vitamin D every day from foods like enriched milk or natural sunlight is important to help the body absorb and use calcium from food.

Here are some foods high in calcium:

Dairy products have the highest calcium content. Dairy products include milk, yogurt, and cheese. A cup (8 ounces) of milk contains 300 mg of calcium. The calcium content is the same for skim, low-fat, and whole milk. Dark green, leafy vegetables contain high amounts of calcium; Broccoli, kale, and collards are all good sources of calcium, especially when eaten raw or lightly steamed (boiling vegetables can take out much of their mineral content).

A serving of canned salmon or sardines has about 200 mg of calcium. It’s found in the soft bones of fish. Cereal, pasta, bread, and other grain foods may add calcium to the diet. Look for cereals that are fortified with minerals, including calcium. Besides cereal, calcium is sometimes added to fruit juices, soy and rice beverages, and tofu. Read product labels to find out if a food item has calcium added to it.

Should I take a calcium supplement?

Calcium is best absorbed through our foods and beverages. For most healthy patients, it’s important to eat a well-balanced diet instead of relying on supplements alone.

Taking a calcium supplement may be necessary for those who can’t get enough calcium from food and beverages each day. People who have lactose intolerance might have difficulty getting enough calcium through their diet alone. In addition, those with absorption problems due to gastrointestinal illness may not absorb enough calcium. Those who follow a vegan diet or consume large amounts of protein and sodium might risk low calcium levels. See additional benefits of calcium supplements at

Why Totally Calcium?

Totally CALCIUM delivers 100% soluble calcium, safe and easy to take. It provides several health benefits due to its very high absorption level in human body.

Leave a Reply